VJ contest attracts crowd

275 students complete several assignments in vie to be 'next big star'

mtvU kicked off its 2004 Road Trip Tour at 10 a.m. today onUniversity Green. Organizers estimate that 275 students auditionedfor their chance to become mtvU's "next big star."

Hopefuls were required to visit five booths where productionassistants tested their knowledge over subjects ranging fromcurrent sports phenoms to music video recognition. After completingthis series of assignments, contestants were interviewed, andassuming they had met mtvU's standards for personality and style,were given a video audition and a callback.

"It was real chill," said Senior Alex Edgecombe, atelecommunications major. "It was fun, it was a good representationof MTV's style."

Helping ease some of the tension caused by the auditions,Atlanta's Winston "DJ Legacy" Williams spun his brand of hip-hopoutside of the gated area. Winston, who has most recently touredwith The Roots, has been traveling with mtvU during the campustour, said that his experience at Ball State had been one of thehighlights. However, Williams' primary responsibility during theevents was that of an MC rather than a DJ.

"You all are off the hook," Williams said. "Everybody has beenshowing me love."

Edgecombe said that his friends played a major role in hisdecision to try out. "My friend told me about it and said I'd be afool not to do it," Edgecombe said. "And Mama didn't raise nofool."

Aaron Galvin, also a senior telecommunications major agreed withEdgecombe. "People told me I would be perfect for it, and Papadidn't raise no fool," Galvin said, giving a nod to Edgecombe.

Freshman Sam Schuster, an architecture major says that hisdecision was made on his own. "That's me," Schuster said. "I likemusic. I love music."

The winner was announced at 6:30 p.m. last night during aceremony on University Green. Brad Oman, a freshman journalism andfilm studies major from Purdue University won out against BallState's student contestants, immediately prompting a few boos fromthe crowd. Nevertheless, Oman was ecstatic from his victory.

"I just came here randomly, and I guess they liked me," saidOman. "This is amazing."

Oman said he was visiting a friend and saw that mtvU was holdingauditions for student VJ hopefuls and made up his mind after seeingthe mass of tents and banners between Bracken Library and theCollege of Architecture and Planning.

"It was totally spur-of-the-moment," Oman said. "I didn't expectto win."

California rock group Sugarcult capped off the evening with anhour-long set that began at 8:30 in the Student CenterBallroom.

The rhythm guitarist, Marko 72 said he was happy to be playing asmaller show after arriving from the last leg of their Europeantour just hours prior to the concert, but said it was strange to besomewhere he had heard so much about from former bandmate andAtaris frontman Kris Roe.

"Kris was from this area and always told me about coming to BallState," said Marko. "I just never thought I'd be here. I'm reallyhappy to be playing a college show. So far I've had a greattime."

LeAnn Mnichowski, UPB main events coordinator and senioradvertising major was excited to see such an event come tocampus.

"Considering there was only 10 schools accepted, we're reallyexcited," Mnichowski said. "We couldn't see the end of the linefrom the door."

Tim Pagnotta, Sugarcult frontman had only good things to sayabout his first visit to Muncie and Ball State. "These are some ofthe smartest kids I've ever come across," Pagnotta said. "If I hadof went here, these kids really could've helped keep my GPAup."

Sugarcult's hour-long, 12-song set brought out many students whowere more than happy to see the band, prompting a crowd of nearly500 students and guests to sing along with many of the songsthroughout the performance.

Sophomore business major Larry Parish was happy that a band heenjoyed chose to make an appearance. "I was surprised MTV came toBall State," Parish said. "But I don't want to be a VJ."

Sugarcult is hitting the road with Greed Day on October 16 insupport of their latest album, "Palm Trees and Power Lines." Fortour information, visit http://www.sugarcult.com.