SOCCER: BSU upends Bowling Green on road

Nocero notches goal, assist to help team to fourth MAC victory

With help from Dee Nocero, who exploded for three of the team'sfour goals on the weekend, Ball State picked up its second win ofthe weekend with a 2-1 victory at Mid-American Conference rivalBowling Green on Sunday.

Nocero, who scored both goals in Friday's win over Toledo,tallied the game-winner over the Falcons, scoring unassisted fromthe left side of the penalty area.

"She played well; she combined with other attackers and shefinished plays," coach Ron Rainey said.

All three goals in the game came in the second half within afour-minute span. Nocero set up Laura Bandy for a goal in the 57thminute, but the Falcons' Britt Anderson responded less than threeminutes later, after a Ball State foul. On the free kick, shebooted the ball into the upper right corner from about 22-yardsout, her first goal of the season.

Nocero countered just over a minute later, her fourth goal ofthe season. She also led the Cardinals in shots with three, whilethe Falcons' Kristy Coppes took four.

"It was a great weekend for our team offensively, and then webacked it up defensively, as well," Rainey said. "We should beexcited about two good results this weekend."

The Falcons held a 19-12 shot advantage, but Ball State (8-2-4overall, 4-2-4 MAC) held a slim lead in shots-on-goal, 7-5. AlisonBecker, who continued her stellar play over the weekend, allowingjust two goals total, only had to make three saves to help theCardinals. Bowling Green's Ali Shingler was credited with fivesaves.

The loss ended a three-game winning streak for Bowling Green.Meanwhile, the Cardinals have now won three of their last fourgames. Rainey said he hopes this streak gives his team confidenceheading into the last stretch of the season. But he also said thetwo wins this weekend were not much different from previous gamesthat resulted in ties or losses.

"Some of those ties, where we walked out thinking we could'vegotten a win, (this weekend's) games could've been ties or losses,"he said. To score four goals over the weekend at this point in theseason is very, very good. Defenses start knowing what you're goingto do, and to be able to score four goals is awesome."