mtvU brings band Sugarcult to campus

University Program Board presents VJ contest and concert

mtvU, the 24-hour college network will be making a stop at BallState University today as a part of its nationwide 2004 mtvU RoadTrip Tour, and in true MTV style they are bringing the rock alongwith them. In search of aspiring VJs on campuses across thecountry, mtvU is visiting for its first-ever Campus VJ Search aspart of the tour.

"There is a tremendous pool of talent on college campuses, andour VJ search is the perfect opportunity to visit some greatschools and find mtvU's next big star," said Stephen Friedman, GMof mtvU.

"Whether they are creating on-air programming, suggesting astory lead, or working as one of our VJs, college students areinvolved with everything we do here, and we can't wait to hit theroad to see what else they've got to offer," Friedman said.

mtvU will be visiting 10 college campuses this October to givestudents of mtvU partner schools a chance to audition to be a VJ(video jockey) during mtvU's Spring Break 2005 programming.Auditions will be held on University Green from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.,allowing students to try their hand at one of the most covetedvocations in the world.

Five finalists, who will be announced after the tour inNovember, will show off their skills on-air on mtvU and will bejudged by the mtvU audience voting on mtvU.com. The winner will beannounced later that month and will showcase their talent as anmtvU VJ during mtvU's Spring Break '05.

California rockers Sugarcult will perform 8:30 p.m. in theStudent Center Ballroom during a free concert open to the first 500Ball State University students to arrive. Students must have astudent ID to get in.

"It's not just to reach the kids who want to be a VJ," saidDavid French, mtvU spokesman. "The whole purpose is to showstudents that they're a part of mtvU -- but this is still MTV, andmusic is a major part of that."

Sugarcult, fresh off of headlining a two-week European tour thattook them to France, Germany, Holland, Scotland and Englandalongside Lookout! Records' Communiqu� will switch off onsome dates with The Roots and other groups during the tour.

"I think it's great to give students a free show," French said."These might not be the bands you see on television or hear on theradio, but this is the music that resonates on collegecampuses."

As part of mtvU's Road Trip Tour, mtvU will also launch the"Wild Card Sweepstakes" where one lucky mtvU student will have thechance to win a trip to mtvU's Spring Break location with fivefriends. To enter, visit www.mtvU.com before Dec. 13th.

Those planning to audition are advised to come early. For moreinformation on mtvU, the 2004 mtvU Road Trip Tour, or an auditionapplication please visit www.mtvu.com/music/road_trip/.