MEN'S TENNIS: Cards rule doubles court in Louisville

Ball State wins two of three doubles flights, Flight C singles

While the Cardinals top two singles players and top doubles teamcompeted at the ITA All-American tournament, the remainingCardinals traveled to Louisville to compete in the LouisvilleInvitational. Matt Baccarani, Patrick Thompson and Matt Laramorewere in Chattanooga while the rest of the Cards faced the field inLouisville.

"Without three of our players, it was a pretty strong showingwithout those guys being there," Richards said.

The Cardinals struggled for wins in flight A, with no playersadvancing past semi-finals. Leading the way for the Cardinals inthe main draw was freshman Tony Epkey, who handled EasternKentucky's Tom Wospil, 6-4, 6-3 in the first round and fifth-seededMarko Marevic of Bradley 6-4, 6-2 in the second round beforefalling to Sebastian Aspillaga of IU-Southeast in thequarterfinals.

Klint Knable and Paul Newman advanced to the second round beforefalling in the second round.

In Flight B, the Cardinals racked up the wins with Mike Heuleleading the way, advancing to the semifinals before falling toKentucky's Marcus Sundh 6-2, 6-0. Sundh went on to win FlightB.

Jan Polhamus advanced to the quarterfinals before falling toBart van Monsjou of Iowa 6-3, 6-2. Jimmy Brannon also won twobefore falling out, also to Sundh.

"Those guys won a lot of matches in that flight," Coach BillRichards said.

In Flight C, Brad Rhodes dominated, sweeping the flight, neverdropping a set. Danny Vidal, meanwhile, struggled, falling intostraight matches.

The Cardinals continued a strong performance in doubles. WhileNewman and Knable fell in the second round, Epkey and Rhodes wonflight B and Heule and Brannon won flight C. Polhamus and Vidaladvanced to semifinals of flight C before falling to Bradley's IvorMiskulin and Paul Craigen 8-6.

"We kind of dominated the doubles," Richards said. "It was goodin that everyone got to play a lot."

The Cardinals have a week and a half off before they head to AnnArbor for the ITA Regional Championships.

"What we stressed was just taking advantage of any opportunity,"Richards said. "We have to make the most of the opportunities weget."