MEN'S GOLF: Ball State finishes seventh at Xavier Invite

Cardinals were in fifth place after each of first two rounds

The fall season for the Ball State men's golf team ended onTuesday as Mike Fleck's team played the final round of the XavierInvitational. The team fell from fifth after two rounds to seventhwhen the meet wrapped up. As a team, the Cardinals shot an 864,thirty strokes behind meet winner Indiana.

Leading the way for Ball State in individual scoring were juniorBrandon Boomsma and sophomore C.D. Hockersmith. Both shot a 214 totie for 10th place, finishing twenty two strokes behind Indiana'sJeff Overton. Meanwhile junior Patrick Wilkes-Krier shot a72-73-70-215 to finish in a tie for fifteenth place. SophomoreWayne Denger put a 73-72-76-221 up on the leaderboard and finishedtied for 39th as his score didn't count for the final team score.Lance Scholl, one of the two seniors on the team, shot a74-69-82-225, nine over par. Sophomore Andy Skillman rounded outthe Cardinal quintet 78-72-79-229, which placed him thirteen overthe par score of the course.

Over the course of the fall season, BSU watched their scoresimprove and the final places at meet were higher. The experience ofthe fall should carry over to the spring, especially for youngplayers like Hockersmith and Denger. The 2005 MAC Championship, wonlast year by Toledo, will be held May 5-7 and hosted by Akron.