FIELD HOCKEY: Ball State can't maintain lead at Ohio

Cardinals drop second league game this year despite Quay's efforts

The field hockey team suffered its second straight conferencedefeat on Saturday, losing on the road to Ohio. The Bobcats (4-11,2-3 Mid-American Conference) knocked off Ball State in a come frombehind fashion, 3-2.

Ball State (3-9, 3-2) had the lead early in each half, but wasunable to hold on for the win.

"We played a fantastic game," head coach Annette Payne said. "Wewent out there and played hard. Unfortunately, we didn't come outon top."

Sophomore Lindsay Quay continued her recent red hot play for theCardinals, scoring both goals on the day. Quay, the Cards leadingscorer this season with seven goals, started the scoring 8:22 intothe game. The goal came on a penalty corner as both Carla Chiampiand Maggie Durbin registered an assist on the play.

Ohio senior Kristen Hann answered for the Bobcats just minuteslater, tying the score at 1-1 heading into halftime.

Quay gave the Cards the lead again by scoring another goal just10 minutes into the second half on an assist by senior ChantelleIsaac. The lead would prove to be somewhat short-lived again, asthe Bobcats answered to tie the game at 2-2.

Ohio's Hann struck again with just under seven minutesremaining, scoring the game-winning goal and second straightconference win for the Bobcats.

"It was back-and-forth," Payne said of the contest. "It wasdefinitely a ballgame. The girls played really, really well."

An important aspect to both games this weekend was the Cardinalslack of team defense. BSU gave up five goals to Kent State onFriday and three to Ohio. The Cards had entered the weekend as theleader in the MAC for fewest goals allowed.

Payne said that the team will certainly address this issue amongother things this week in practice.

"I think we're definitely gonna look at some key factors inpractice -- fix a couple of things," she said.

Although the two conference losses dropped Ball State from thetop spot in the conference to a game back of Louisville and KentState, Payne still feels that the team is in great position to makea strong push for a MAC Championship.

"We play everybody again," she said. "We're still rightthere."