CLOUD NINE AND A HALF: Autumn a time of reflection and change for all

The season of autumn brings cold and death to the Earth, so itis ironic that it is the most favored time of year. Maybe it is thechange from hot, humid air to a cool, crisp feeling. On the way toclass, resting your hands in the pockets of a hooded sweatshirt isboth convenient and comforting. Old Navy flip-flops are replacedwith tennis shoes and clogs. The trees begin to change colors andset off a beautiful array of gold and copper. The coffee shopsbecome crowded with people in search of warmth.

October brings Halloween, which is a fun time for everyone,including college students, who use the holiday as a way to bringout their creative energies for costumes and parties. Novemberbrings the first snow, the first large feast of the holiday seasonand piles of dead leaves that have fallen off their newly barebranches. The first taste of Christmas reminds people that in a fewmonths, they'll be tipping their hats to another new year.

Autumn is a time of reflection, when the air conditioning isturned off for the year and candles are lit to make a cozy placefor relaxing. When the time of reflection arrives, I write or bringup childhood memories. It is both fulfilling and depressing tothink back to the time when entertainment came from something assimple as constructing piles of leaves and running wildly throughthem with friends or siblings, while laughter echoed off thebuildings across the street.

Fire also brings about thought. When the weather becomes frosty,roasting marshmallows is quite a treat. A tight circle of closefriends staring at each other across the leaping flames of abonfire provides an opportunity for stories to be told over thepeaceful crackling sounds. The most deep and thoughtfulconversations can be shared over a freshly blackened marshmallowwedged between a slab of Hershey's chocolate and two grahamcrackers.

Thomas Wolfe couldn't have described the season better than thefollowing: "Then summer fades and passes and October comes. We'llsmell smoke then, and feel an unexpected sharpness, a thrill ofnervousness, swift elation, a sense of sadness and departure."

Although autumn is a beautiful time of year, it is a stressfultime for professors and students. The midpoint of the semesterbrings midterms and deadlines for papers along with it. Pullingeverything together at once makes it difficult to sit back andenjoy the season of changes. It is always fulfilling to take timeto breathe in the fresh air and take a glimpse at the changingtrees with the sunlight reflecting perfectly off the coloredleaves.

The World Series and the beginning of football season both occurin autumn. The race for the Nextel Cup tightens. Sports, fun,stress, reflection and change all happen in the shortest season ofthe year. It is slightly ironic, but humans change and grow withthe season, whether it is spring, summer, autumn or winter.

Write to Kara at

kcking@bsu.edu