BEWILDERED SOCIETY: A familiar, yet poetic tribute to Homecoming

In honor of the spirit which made Homecoming 2004 a success,I've taken from a classic tale by, depending on who you ask,Clement Clarke Moore or Henry Livingston Jr. Allow me to step back,and tell you about my weekend.

'Twas the morning of Homecoming, when all through the school,there were students and alumni all shootin' it cool.

The "Welcome Back" signs were hung by the bars with care, inhopes that the alums would soon blow their savings there.

The freshmen were nestled all snug in the beds, while visions ofa house party on Marsh St. remained in their heads.

I in my PJ's, and my roommates gone home, had just gone back tosleep following a night's rest all alone.

When down in the village I heard whistles and bells, I sat backup yelling, "What in the hell?"

I tripped over to my window, groggy as ever; I pushed away theblinds, to remember what follows for now and forever.

The sun off the pavement and the surrounding ground, helped meto see the ruckus that was causing the sound.

When what to my half-opened eyes appeared for long? Myneighbors, their friends and an early morning game of screwdriverpong.

With some cups, a table and an unmistakable date, I knew at thatmoment, "This is Ball State."

My eyes turned away, as I stood taller on my feet, more familiesand alumni were filling the street.

"The bands, the floats, the emergency vehicles and all!" Istopped to think to myself, "A parade is forming; looks like I'mwaiting to hit the mall."

To the porch I went, opposite my bedroom wall; I needed to takeit in, once and for all.

As the leaves fell before the crisp autumn air, the week'sactivities had suddenly made students care.

Over the past week, the students had joined in on the fun, we'dput down our defenses and the jokes about the UPD having guns.

We'd joined in the opening day, and the AirJam, too. Somestudents attended not just one event, but two!

We joined together as a campus of one, we laughed and cheeredand even helped in welcoming back the alums.

Our school has been through some troubled times to say theleast, and for us to come together is quite the accomplishedfeat.

We got along and watched our team play ball. Many enjoyed thegame, despite our horrid record this fall.

But it's not about the records, the wins or the losses; nor doesit matter the yards or the tosses.

It's about joining together, in spirit and in person; to helpmake our university a better place, rather than let its conditionworsen.

We did a good job, and we should not let our pride fade,otherwise we're just a bunch of pathetic slackers, waiting to be"made."

I walked back inside, with a smile on my face; I was happy to behome, as was my neighbor: he'd just brought back a case.

But I heard him exclaim, as he stumbled out of sight, "It's aHomecoming for the ages... I just hope I make it 'til tonight."

Write to Dave at

heydave@bewilderedsociety.com

visit http://www.bewilderedsociety.com