WOMEN'S SOCCER Cardinals get first MAC victory

Ball State, Kent State battle to scoreless tie on Sunday

Heading into the weekend, the Ball State women's soccer team hadyet to win a a Mid-American Conference game.

That changed on Friday, when the Cardinals (5-1-4 overall, 1-1-4MAC) defeated Buffalo 2-0. Dee Nocero scored her first goal of theseason off of a Kate Natalin pass that flew over the heads ofBuffalo's defense. Nocero sped around the defense to receive thepass, and scored for the only goal needed in the game. LindsayWiltshire added her third goal of the season in the 53rdminute.

"I think it's just the difference between finishing (scoringchances) and not finishing them. It was two well-played shots wherethe goalkeeper couldn't save them," coach Ron Rainey said.

Ball State outshot the Bulls, 11-8, including three shots ongoal by Nadalin. Goalkeeper Alison Becker continued her outstandingseason with two weekend shutouts, bringing her season total tosix.

"She made a couple of very good saves. But it's more of what thedefense is doing to cut down scoring chances," Rainey said."(Buffalo) might've been a little off, but I think we took awaysome chances."

"Having those ties, it's good to get a result in the wincolumn," Rainey said. "This was a complete win for us. We took careof opportunities; we stopped their opportunities."

Against Kent State on Sunday, the Cardinals settled for ascoreless tie, their second of the season. Neither team found manyscoring opportunities, with Ball State outshooting Kent State,11-7. Vandi Ogden led the way with three shots.

"Both teams played hard, it was almost like both teams werewatching each other in hopes of not making the first mistake,"Rainey said. "You've gotta give the defenses a lot of credit."

Rainey was very pleased with how the weekend shaped up, statingthat coming away with a win and tie against MAC opponents are twovery good results.

The Cardinals are back in action this weekend, when they faceMAC rivals Marshall on Friday and Ohio on Sunday, both at home.