OUR VIEW: Muncie-apolis

AT ISSUE: Students, University should continue to foster relationship with Indy organizations

Recently it seems as if there has been a little hint of Indianapolis in the air.

This is not a negative thing, however; rather it is something that has been benefiting residents and students alike -

not to mention a couple of professional sports teams.

Starting last April with the Indianapolis Colts hosting a mini-camp here at Ball State, there has been an increasingly positive relationship between Ball State University, Muncie and Indianapolis sports teams.

And it needs to continue.

The Colts were so pleased with how the mini-camp ran that they have discussed making it an annual event. In the meanwhile, the team brought some of its players back up to Muncie earlier this week to work with community clean-up efforts.

This weekend, the Colts are opening the revolving doors to the RCA dome and bringing in the University Marching Band as well as the Cardettes to perform at the game.

But the Colts do not stand alone in their efforts. The Indianapolis Pacers will travel to Muncie in Oct. to play an exhibition game at Worthen Arena.

So take that Assembly Hall.

The teams have chosen Ball State and Muncie for their swapping, training and playing grounds. Without a doubt, they had other options, other schools and maybe even better offers.

But they still picked us.

Ball State should be proud of its new-found relationship with these highly-respected (give or take a bad season) sports organizations, and should continue to nurture the development of such successful and mutually beneficial programming.

Students should ensure this nurturing, too. By attending games, showing support and staying involved, students' actions can help encourage the university, as well as the teams, to continue on this relationship well into overtime.