OUR VIEW: Helping hands

AT ISSUE: Area residents, Ball State staff and students show Muncie's true colors

Muncie commonly receives a bad wrap from "outsiders." From asimple, "It smells," to the ever-classic, "No one cares about eachother," Muncie tends to have the same appeal to a visitor that anant colony does.

Ever more upsetting is that residents usually say the same,uneducated thing.

It's not true, though. Believe it or not: residents (student orotherwise) actually do show some compassion for their common manevery now and then.

Just ask Bob Ewert, pastor at Union Grove Church of theBrethren, and his wife Sylvia, an administrative coordinator in theDepartment of Accounting in the Miller College of Business, whosehouse was ruined due to a fire on Sept. 20. The couple lost nearlyall of their belongings and has forced the two to temporarily moveinto a nearby hotel.

Their possessions may be gone, but thanks to some caring arearesidents, their spirit to move on is not.

Since the day of the fire, BSU organizations, staff, faculty andarea residents have come together to help the Ewerts carry on.

For those who extended their hands to help, there were norewards - no instant compensation. The only reasoning behind theirassistance was a result of their desire to do only one thing:Help.

Their dedication and drive speaks wonders for the community andresidents of Muncie and Ball State. This city has seen anincreasing number of examples of such noble, everyday citizens overthe last few weeks.

It goes to show (again) that Muncie is truly not what it isalways imaged to be.