OUR VIEW: Closed doors

AT ISSUE: Tonight's gubernatorial debate is anything but public

We've all heard the age-old adage about a tree falling in thewoods when no one is around and the argument over whether it makesa sound or not.

Well, here's a new one for you: If two politicians debate in aclosed room, and the general public is not around to hear it... dothey really make their cases?

We think not.

Tonight, incumbent democratic Gov. Joe Kernan, republicancandidate Mitch Daniels and Libertarian runner Kenn Gividen willface off in the first gubernatorial debate of their campaigns.

And no one will be around to hear it.

The 90-minute debate, set to take place at Franklin College,will be shown to the statewide audience via a network of mostlypublic television and radio stations as well as a live Internetwebcast. (Locally, WIPB-TV will be airing the event on a delay at10 p.m.)

For those wishing to attend the debate ... you cannot.

According to a Franklin press release and co-producerWFYI-TV/FM's web site, "The general public is invited to view thelive broadcast on a large television monitor located in FranklinCollege's new Student Center."

Talk about interactive politics.

Indeed, there are seats available in Franklin's Theatre Margot,but they are reserved for "specially selected students and friendsof the college."

Great for those lucky few, but not so good for those who do nothave ties to the college. According the The Daily Journal inJohnson County, the equipment set-up by WFYI will allow only 200seats to be used for the debate.

Media, including the Daily News, will be in the same position asthe general public: able to view the debate only from televisionmonitors in a separate room.

It is a disappointing to know that such an event can take placebehind closed doors, especially when its outcome can affect such awide body of citizens. According to the same release, Franklincompeted with more than a dozen Indiana colleges and universitiesfor the rights to host this debate. Arguably, there are morespacious venues that could have been picked for this debate; whichwould easily top the 200 seats available for tonight's event.

Venues aside, the point of a debate is to allow the public towitness candidates discussing the issues. Television and radiobroadcasts aside, this debate, as with any other should be aspublicly accessible as possible.

According to the Indianapolis Star, the two candidates haveagreed to a second debate to be held on Oct. 17 in a southernIndiana location yet to be announced. That time around, it is ourhope that the candidates and organizers will sponsor a truly publicdebate.