MEN'S GOLF: Boomsma shines in top-five finish

Ball State takes fifth out of 19 teams at Louisville tourney

Ball State traveled to Louisville to take part in the two-dayCardinal Intercollegiate on Monday and Tuesday. Led by juniorBrandon Boomsma's brilliant play, the Cards took fifth in thenineteen team meet.

Head coach Mike Fleck's team shot an 890 over the three rounds,and finished 39 strokes behind winner (and host) Louisville. Alsoplacing ahead of Ball State were Marquette, Mississippi State andIllinois State. The team finished with the best final score of anyMAC team in the meet. Their score was only stroke ahead ofsixth-place Eastern Michigan. Miami tied for 11th and Akron tiedfor 15th.

Boomsma put up his best overall score of the fall season,shooting a 70-72-71-213 to finish fifth among the 100 golfers inthe meet. He saved some of his best golf for the third round, whenhe shot a 71 to keep pace with the other leaders.

Also helping out Fleck's team was sophomore Wayne Denger, whoshot a 224 (73-71-80) and tied for 25th place. Junior PatrickWilkes-Krier was just behind Denger with a 225 (77-72-76), tied for32nd place. Senior Bud Graessle put up a 76-73-81-230 whilesophomore Andy Skillman shot a 76-75-80-231 and finished in themiddle of the pack. The Cardinals put up one of the best scoresduring the second round. Denger's 71 along with Boomsma andWilkes-Krier, who had a 72 each, allowed Ball State stayed incontention.

The Cardinal Intercollegiate was the best showing of the team'sthree meets so far. Next week Ball State hosts the EarlYestingsmeier Invitational at the Delaware Country Club. The finalmeet of the fall slate occurs at Xavier University in Cincinnati aweek later.