Latino Student Union sponsors diversity week

Professor to discuss perceptions of Latinos in society tonight

Ball State University's Latino Student Union said it is hopingto bring a little cultural flavor to campus during its first weekof events.

"Our goal is to promote Latino awareness on the campus of BallState," junior Sarra Trevino-Norris, vice president, said. "I knowone of (President Jo Ann Gora's) goals is to have more diversity oncampus, and with LSU putting on its events, it gives students moreoptions."

The week will kick off with Albino Perez, professor at IndianaUniversity, Purdue University and Fort Wayne, who will speak aboutthe perception of Latinos in today's society at 7 p.m. tonight inthe L.A. Pittenger Student Center in Cardinal Hall.

"On a campus with such a little Hispanic population, it'simportant for students to listen to him and get an understanding ofhow Latinos are perceived," sophomore Alinna Nieto, LSU president,said.

Hip-hop poet and comedian Joe Hernandez-Kolski, also known as"Pocho Joe," will perform from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Tuesday in theStudent Center Tally. The performer is a Princeton Universitygraduate and has been featured on HBO's Def Poetry Jam.

Nieto said she hopes Hernandez-Kolski will show students of allraces and backgrounds that they can succeed in life and reach theirpotential if they put their minds to it.

"I think it's a privilege for us to be able to have anentertainer of his caliber at our school," Nieto said.

LSU is sponsoring a free cultural dinner from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.Wednesday at the Scheidler Apartments Community Room. The dinnerwill give students insight into what foods are popular in theLatino culture and allow them to try something different from whatthey are accustomed to, Nieto said.

Salsa and merengue dance lessons, co-sponsored with Spectrum,will also be given for free from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. Thursday inStudent Center Cardinal Hall B. The week will culminate with aCool-Down Dance from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. Friday at the UniversityGreen.

LSU is co-sponsoring all events with Gamma Phi Omega, and PhiDelta Theta is helping with the cultural dinner, Nieto said. Shesaid their cooperation shows how Ball State organizations cansuccessfully work together to promote awareness on campus.

Trevino-Norris said she hopes the week of events will encouragestudents to get more involved in minority groups and learn moreabout Latino culture, especially during September, which isNational Hispanic Awareness Month.

"If you know about a culture, you're less likely to stereotypeit," Trevino-Norris said. "I think that's one of the biggest thingswe need to work on, not just as a campus, but as a wholecountry."