FIELD HOCKEY: Cards look for first victory at home

Louisville, Miami, Michigan to play in Muncie this weekend

Close losses have plagued the field hockey team early on in the season. Five of the team's six games have been decided by one goal, with three games ending into overtime.

Ball State (0-6) will look to change this trend at 3 p.m. today when they host Mid-American Conference foe Louisville at Turf Field. The Cardinals will then face fellow MAC opponent Miami on Saturday before finishing their three game home stand on Sunday against No. 7 Michigan.

"Every game is huge," coach Annette Payne said. "We gotta be ready for every game."

Louisville (2-5) comes into today's matchup in a similar situation to the Cards. All but one of Louisville's games has also been decided by one goal. The two teams met twice last year, with each winning at the opponent's home field.

Ball State knocked off the then-No. 14 Louisville squad 2-0 in the first meeting last year. The second game went to Louisville by a 3-2 score.

Although Louisville enters play with five losses, the Cardinals were selected as the MAC preseason No. 1. This shows that the conference should be very competitive this year.

"I think the MAC is going to be tough and tight," Payne said. "When you get to MAC play, every game is huge."

Ball State, which has struggled scoring goals this season, will be challenged Saturday when Miami visits. Kerri Orr, the RedHawks goalkeeper, was named MAC Defensive Player of the Week on Monday. Orr has consecutive shutouts and has not allowed a goal in the last 140 minutes of play.

Miami (4-3) is still looking for its first conference win in nearly four years. The RedHawks last MAC win came against Central Michigan in 2000.

The No. 7 team in the nation, Michigan (5-3) comes to town Sunday having won its last five matches against Ball State. The Wolverines hold the 9-5 all-time advantage over the Cards with the last meeting coming in 2002.

"Michigan is a great program," Payne said. "(To win) we gotta play some solid hockey."

This weekend should provide a good opportunity for Ball State to pick up its first win. Even though they lost their last game against Ohio State in double overtime, Payne was pleased with what she saw.

"We played a great game against Ohio State," she said. "I saw some really good things out on the field."

One of the good things that came out of the game was solid play in both halves.

"It was definitely a good game in that regard," Payne said.

One important reason as to why the team is still winless is due to their difficult schedule. BSU has played high quality opponents including two teams that are currently ranked in the nation, Indiana and Northeastern. Payne believes that the team is on the right track to finally break through.

"I think we just have to continue to play the way we've been playing," she said.