CLOUD NINE AND A HALF: New form of therapy emerges on Internet: the blog

Blogger. Livejournal. Xanga. Deadjournal. These names are allbecoming familiar as the days of written journals are dwindling.Many people seek something that will allow others to explore theirsouls and keep their fingers happy during the age of e-mail and AOLInstant Messenger.

These days, people of all ages are turning to online web logs toshare upcoming events, life stories and opinions on current events.Web logs have been around for a long time, but the epidemic hitwith the turn of the century. Not only are they simple to use andcustomize, but communities within each "blog" provide a social lifeoutside of other everyday activities.

After a dramatic episode with a friend or a hard day of classesand/or work, blogging can be a better stress reliever than drinkinga cup of hot chocolate in front of the latest episode of GilmoreGirls. What is it about sharing opinions and hardships withthousands of complete strangers that makes one feel satisfaction?Maybe someone out in the blog world can relate to why a person is aRepublican instead of a Democrat or the hard times one has gonethrough to get where he or she is today. Blogging is instanttherapy.

However, sometimes blogging can take over a person's life. If aparty at a conversation has ever went like the following, a blogaddiction might be the diagnosis.

"Hi. You look familiar. Have we met somewhere?? Online,perhaps."

"You have a Livejournal! That's where I know you from!"

"Oh yeah! You're [insert screen name here], right?"

No need to fret, though. Web logs are better than a datingservice when it comes to meeting people and making new friends.

"Blog lingo" is becoming popular, as most people now understandwhat a blog ring or an e-prop is. However, a strange look mightstill be exchanged if the word "Xangan" is uttered. Like themessenger terms "lol" and "ttyl," blogging language is becoming apart of the online world.

Approximately 3 million blogs have been tracked since thebeginning of 2004 and that number continues to grow. If interestedin learning more, About.com (weblogs.about.com) provides tips forstarting the first blog entry and recommends new and improved Websites to host a blog. According to About.com, presidentialcandidates are even beginning to use blogs as a campaignstrategy.

A web log is out there for everyone, whether they are used fortherapy, voicing opinions, life stories or sheer pleasure.Everything from gardening tips to football games can be discussedand commented on. Face it. Blogs are taking over our lives.

Write to Kara at kcking@bsu.edu