BSU political organizations encourage registration

Students can apply for absentee ballots eight days efore Nov. 2

Realizing the deadline for voter registration in Indiana isquickly approaching, junior Michael Kostyo knew he needed to takeaction.

As president of The Ball State Civil Liberties Union, Kostyo istaking advantage of this week before Monday's deadline to organizesome last minute activities to get more students registered.

"There are the issues that if we don't act now, we will kickourselves later down the road," Kostyo said.

However, the organization is not alone in its registrationefforts this week.

The BSCLU has teamed up with the Ball State Democrats to havevoter registration tables set up at different location on campusfrom 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Today the tables are located at NoyerComplex. The location of the Thursday and Friday tables are to beannounced later.

The Ball State College Republicans will be at the scramble lighttoday registering students to vote from 11:30 a.m. until 2 p.m.with free Carter's hot dogs.

"If you are a freshman or sophomore you might want to vote herebecause politics in Muncie affect you nine months out of the year,"Chris Adamo, president of the College Republicans, said."It alldepends on what affects you the most."

The BSCLU and Ball State Democrats also have students who arecertified pollsters, much like researchers, who will be going fromdoor-to-door in certain dorms registering students to vote andhanding out applications for absentee ballots.

One of these pollsters, sophomore Steven Nawara, said that inorder to gain access to the dorms, he had to go to the localDemocratic Party headquarters and get a letter to certify himselfas a pollster.

He said that because it is a partisan position he is allowed toask questions about students' party affiliation. According to theirresponse, he can choose whether or not to offer the student anapplication.

Nawara has the ability to figure out who is a Democrat and tryto convince only these students to register, and he can avoidgiving Republican students an application by simply not offeringthem one.

"If they came out and asked me for [an application] I would giveit to them, but if not, I wouldn't," Nawara said.

One of the best ways to register to vote so close to deadlinewould be to go down to the county building and register right therein the office, Karen Wenger, Delaware County Clerk, said.

If students register by mail, they need to have two pieces ofidentification proving residency in Muncie. However, if theyregister in person, only one piece of identification is required,Wenger said.

To vote by absentee ballot, a student can go online atwww.dcclerk.org to print off the absentee application.

"Students are most capable of figuring out how to voteabsentee," Wenger said. "Make sure everything is filled out and allthe right signatures are on it."

Also online, there is a precinct finder that allows students toenter their address information to find out where they should go tovote on election day.

Even though voter registration for Indiana ends Monday, studentswho are already registered can apply for an absentee ballot upuntil eight days before the Nov. 2 election.