WOMEN'S TENNIS Cards defeat IPFW and Wright State in weekend matches

The season couldn't have started out any better for the Cardinals this weekend. They welcomed IPFW and Wright State to Muncie and then easily took care of both teams, winning both matches 7-0.

"It was a good icebreak, a good way to get started," head coach Kathy Bull said. "There was not a whole lot of pressure, a good way to get into it."

The Cardinals (2-0) easily took care of their opponents, not dropping a single set to either the Mastodons or the Raiders, bringing them to a 30-0 set record in singles and an 7-0 record in doubles.

"From top to bottom everyone preformed well," Bull said. "One thing I was particularly happy with was, as the day went on, we played stronger."

The closest match came in singles when Ball State's Jenny Batty defeated Audra Beckett of Wright State 6-3, 7-5.

"Jenny never really lost her composure," Bull said. "She just had to work through a couple early season consistency issues."

The Cardinals begin their season with a 2-0 record as they welcome Dayton on Feb. 5. Coach Bull said she thinks that winning early will, and already has helped her team's confidence.

"The first match we played at 10, even the difference at four in the afternoon, it was like we had gone out and come back another day," she said. "We were much more confident."

Still, Coach Bull is hesitant about their easy victory.

"Honestly, I was hoping some of the matches down the roster would have been a little harder for us," she said. "But I'm sure my players aren't complaining."