WOMEN'S SWIMMING Cards sweep three events to gain upset

Team defeats Eastern Michigan with 30 top-three finishes

A strong team performance led to a 162-138 victory over Eastern Michigan for Ball State's women's swimming and diving squad.

The Cardinals won seven events and concluded with 30 top-three finishes. Three events (50 free, 100 free, and 100 back) were swept by the Cardinals.

Coach Laura Seibold-Caudill was very pleased with the three sweeps, saying the 50 free trio of Sarah Welter, Sarah King, and Nora Lucas "came through at the right time."

"I was real impressed with the sweep in the 100 free because I know (Eastern) has good freestylers," she said.

Ball State finished in the top three in 15 of 16 events, starting with a win by the 400-medley relay team. Ellie McCammon (200 free), Michelle Arakgi (200 fly), and Erin Johnson (100 fly), also won their respective events.

Seibold-Caudill was very pleased with McCammon and Arakgi's swims.

"McCammon led the way for all the later swims," she said.

Ball State also finished with 11 second-place efforts and 12 third-places, including a second and third in the 800 free relay event. Kait Martin and Cassandra Pavlovich continued the success they experienced against Valparaiso and Toledo with Martin winning the 100 back and finishing third in the 200 back, and Pavlovich finishing second in the 3-meter diving event.

Before the meet, Seibold-Caudill said she expected it to be a close meet. Instead, the Cardinals had won the meet with three events remaining.

"Our swimmers stepped up big," she said. "I talked to Eastern's coach after the meet and told him, 'I thought it would be a closer meet,' and he said, 'Yeah, so did I.'

"I think he was disappointed with his team's performance," Seibold-Caudill continued.

Several swimmers have been fighting sickness recently, Seibold-Caudill said.

"I think we swam very well," she said. "They still are able to drive past those aches and illnesses."

Ball State is now 8-4 overall and 2-3 against Mid-American Conference opponents. This weekend they host Illinois-Chicago Friday at 6 p.m. before traveling to MAC rival Bowling Green on Saturday.