State Police raises DUI stakes

Troopers make 5 arrests, some were BSU students

The Indiana State Police sent eight troopers out Friday in anincreased effort to keep drivers safer from those who operatevehicles under the influence.

The troopers made five intoxicated driver arrests, three arrestsfor possession of drugs, and eight arrests for minor consumption,Sgt. Rod Russell of ISP said. Some of those arrested were BallState students, but names were unavailable.

The effort will continue as Indiana will participate in theHoliday Lifesaver Weekend, a national program to promote safedriving, Russell said.

The campaign has been conducted every year across the nationsince 1991, according to the International Association of Chiefs ofPolice Web site.

Russell said the national program begins Friday and willcontinue throughout the weekend toward the Christmas holiday.

The ISP will be participating by covering a district made up ofDelaware, Grant, Blackford, Randolph and Jay Counties.

Police focused their efforts last weekend on Delaware County andMuncie. Russell said this effort is not targeting Ball Statestudents. ISP will be executing the program in differentlocations.

ISP will not conduct checkpoints but will be roving, hesaid.

Patrols will be looking for people with impaired driving,aggressive driving or drivers and passengers not wearingseatbelts.

Russel said the winter holidays are not the only time ISP stepsup its efforts.

"We step up patrols in the peak period with a likelihood ofincreased noncompliance of the law," he said

Russell said the ISP increases patrols when there is more motorvehicle traffic and a larger possibility of alcohol or druguse.

Russell listed Fourth of July, New Year's, Christmas andHalloween as examples that fit this description.

He said though the ISP steps up the patrols this time of year,cracking down on unsafe drivers is something the state police doesevery day.

Russell said there are precautions people can take to stay safeon the roads. First, he said people who are under 21 should notconsume alcohol.

People who are going to be using alcohol should not operate amotor vehicle.

"If you do, you better make certain you are below the legallimit," he said.

Those who think they have spotted an impaired driver or seesomeone using alcohol while driving should call 911, he said.

"You'd be surprised at the number of people who call in about asuspected drunk driver," Russell said.

Listing the license plate number and a description of the carwill help the ISP find the driver, Russell said.