WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State eyes MAC West championship

Cards control their destiny heading into final MAC weekend

All season, the Ball State women's volleyball team (14-13, 8-6Mid-American Conference) has struggled to simply stay around .500.Now, heading into the final weekend of the regular season, theCardinals find themselves in a position to take at least a share ofthe MAC West Division.

That enthuses head coach Randy Litchfield.

"It is a lot more exciting than the thought we had three weeksago when we were at best a middle-of-the-pack team," he said. "Itis pretty motivating to know that we can move up to the upperechelon."

For Ball State to even have a chance at a division title speaksvolumes about the character of the team, Litchfield said.

"We've all hung in there," he said. "It has been a big challengejust because most of us are used to winning a lot more than losing.For me, it has been a lot of fun. It has been a new challenge, andI think it has been very good for me. I think it has been very goodfor this team."

The Cardinals know, though, that this weekend will not be acakewalk. On Friday, Ball State takes on Central Michigan (15-12,9-5 MAC), the current leader in the West, followed by a match withEastern Michigan (20-7, 8-6 MAC) on Saturday.

The Chippewas and Cardinals have not met this season, butLitchfield said he thinks CMU's style of play could cause someproblems for Ball State.

"They are very fast with their offense," he said. "Their offenseis very high risk, and they have players that can hit theoffense."

Litchfield said he expects a lot of pressure to be put on histeam's defense against the Chips. Luckily for the Cards, juniorlibero Stephanie Keller, this week's MAC West Player of the Week,is playing some of her best volleyball of the season.

"This is the exact type of match she'll excel in because she'llget lots of chances," Litchfield said. "Steph loves to be in themidst of the action, and she's going to get a lot of action."

Eastern Michigan might also cause some problems for BallState.

"They're slide offense poses a problem for us," Litchfield said."We've not been great with that all year."

Litchfield and the Cards can be comforted that both competitorswill play in Worthen Arena, even though Ball State has not been asunbeatable on its home floor this year as it has in the past.

"It is not a given that we are going to win in Worthen Arenathis year," Litchfield said.

Depending on the results of MAC matches this weekend, Ball Statecould finish anywhere from first to fifth in the MAC West.

All that matters right now to Ball State, though, is that theCards have a chance to finish atop the MAC West if they win theirfinal two matches.