Cards upset Notre Dame

Baseball team topples 16th-ranked Irish with pair of unearned runs

A ninth-inning error allowed Ball State to score the tie-breaking runs as the baseball team upset No. 16 Notre Dame, 3-1, at Frank Eck Stadium in South Bend.

BSU improves to 27-11, while the Irish fall to 29-9.

"It's a huge win for us," head coach Greg Beals said. "Notre Dame's solid, and it was a great baseball game."

Cardinal leadoff hitter Ben Schroeder singled three times and scored once, while Brad Miller singled twice and batted in his team's first run. Joe Ness allowed just one run in six innings of pitching. Kory Bucklew (3-1) recorded the win and John Pettibone racked up his eighth save with scoreless relief.

"Joe Ness set and tempo and was outstanding," Beals said. "We pitched great; that was the story.

"It wasn't a great day to hit, but we banged out eight hits and made it tough on them."

Miller led off the ninth inning, and was lifted for pinch runner Lorenzo Scott, who stole second base. After Jason Bucholtz walked, Ben Schroeder grounded into a fielder's choice at second. Schroeder moved to second on a defensive indifference.

Lucas Fry grounded back to pitcher Eric Gagne, whose throw to first base got past Matt Edwards. Scott and Schroeder came around to score.

"It wasn't that bad of a throw," Beals said of the crucial play. "It just tipped off the top of his glove."

Although it was a big non-conference win for his team, Beals said his team can't rest on its laurels.

"We're getting back into the conference (games) and goals are based on those. We have to get refocused on Friday."