Our View: Amber Alert

AT ISSUE: 'Amber Alert' system helps save two Indiana children, should be national standard.

"Amber Alert" has helped save two Indiana children.

Indiana's first statewide "Amber Alert" was issued by police on Sunday, after a Schererville man placed two children in the trunk of a car and drove off, the Associated Press reported Sunday evening.

Police managed to get an identification on the suspect and found him and the children several hours later at the suspect's home.

Officers detected no abuse, foul play or injury to the children, but the investigation continued at press time.

Authorities issued the alert at 12:30 p.m. after witnesses reported seeing a man place a 7- to 8-year-old girl in the trunk of a car. A boy was already in the trunk, witnesses said.

The Indiana General Assembly authorized creation of a statewide system during the 2002 legislative session. In this first use, it has proved successful and helpful.

However, since the nine-month drama over the kidnapping of Utah teen Elizabeth Smart ended last week when Smart was returned to her home, national awareness of child abduction has peaked.

Smart's father even remarked about the House Judiciary Committee's delay in adoption of a national Amber Alert system. The Senate unanimously approved a national Amber Alert system in January.

"Children can't afford you fumbling around," Ed Smart said. "I got Elizabeth back, but there are many parents out there who have not got their children back."

One must keep in mind that Amber Alerts are not intended to help find children who have been missing for long periods of time -- Amber Alerts work best the sooner they are issued.

Still, a national system would help prevent future instances.

The sooner one is adopted and put into action, the safer our nation's children will be.