Ball State instructor to run for judge of Yorktown court

Zeabart has no law background but other service experience.

Though Patricia Zeabart is an instructor of family and consumer sciences, she has decided to enter into law.

The Ball State instructor has announced her plan to run for judge of the Yorktown court.

Zeabart said she decided to run because of her love for her community.

"I really want to be judge," Zeabart said. "My goal is to be in a position of leadership and service to my Yorktown community through serving as the judge of the town court of Yorktown. It really is my passion to use my skills and abilities in public service."

The position is a four-year term and is in charge of all misdemeanors and traffic violations in Delaware County but outside of Muncie, Zeabart said.

Though she has no background in law, Zeabart has worked in public service ever since high school.

"My parents are both educators and instilled in each one of us the importance of being involved in our community," Zeabart said.

Zeabart volunteered for the Red Cross and worked at a police camp in high school.

"(The camp) was pretty life changing," Zeabart said. "It's great to be involved early so you gain confidence and abilities, and eventually are brave enough to put your name on the ballot and ask the community to elect you to serve as an official."

She currently serves in a state-elected position on the board of the Indiana Dietetic Association and will be installed as president-elect of IDA in April.

She served on the Mt. Pleasant Township Community school board from 1993 to 1997 and was president, vice-president, secretary and treasurer.

Since moving to Muncie in 1979, Zeabart has held 25 public service offices, she said.

She earned her masters degree at Ball State in 1988.

"I love to be involved ... and I know I am happiest when I'm making a difference in someone's life," Zeabart said.

If elected to office, Zeabart would still work part-time at the university, she said.

Her 10 years of work at Ball State have helped her reach this decision.

"Part of my job as an instructor is to help students realize that if we all work hard while here, we are putting ourselves in a position to pursue our dreams and goals," Zeabart said. "So, it is only natural that I would also buy into this belief for myself."

However, she still faces opposition. Though she is alone on the Republican ticket, the incumbent judge and another are running on the Democrat ticket.

Zeabart said she has thought about returning to public office for the past two years, but this was the first position that was the best appointment and the best fit.

Some of her students said they believe she has the character for the job.

"I'm completely in support of her," graduate student Beth Young said. "She's a great woman ... and is really good at getting business done, but without the harshness."

Elaine Tudor, a student, also gave her support.

"I think it's great because she has the knowledge and ability to do it," Tudor said. "We need fresh people that know what they're doing."

Becky Adams, associate professor of family and consumer science, said Zeabart's sense of integrity made her well suited for the job.