Cards defeat Bowling Green 96-71

Goff leads BSU to keep promise: never lose at home

Junior Johna Goff has made a vow to never lose a game at home. Time and again she has said that no matter what, the women's basketball team will not lose in Worthen Arena. Last night against Bowling Green, it was Goff who led the Cardinals back from a three-point halftime deficit to a 25-point victory over the Falcons, 96-71.

"Coach (Tracy) Roller really challenged us that (Bowling Green) is a MAC school that is never going to die, and they were obviously kicking our butts in the first half," Goff said. "We're just not going lose at home and that really stuck with us."

The Cardinals (11-4, 5-0 Mid-American Conference) out-scored the Falcons (9-7,2-3) 56-28 in the second half. Goff scored 20 of her 25 points in the second half to spark a 17-2 run that broke a 55-55 tie with 13 minutes left to play. Even as she struggled with her outside shots, Goff gave the Bowling Green defense trouble with her hard drives to the basket where she would either have an open look at the basket or pass it off to a wide-open teammate.

The player often on the receiving end was senior Tamara Bowie, who had a season-high 30 points in only 24 minutes of play. Her playing time was limited early in the game as she picked up two quick fouls and had to watch much of the first half from the bench.

"We've got the target on our backs right now," Bowie said. "I know people are gunning for me and and trying to get me in foul trouble. I just had to let it go and keep playing my game."

But more important than Bowie's offensive showcase was her defensive play on All-MAC forward Francine Miller. Bowie helped limit Miller to just 3-10 shooting and seven points, well shy of her 13.9 season average.

"We did such a good job of mixing up our defensive schemes that it really kept them off guard," Roller said. "Bowie did a really good job of staying with her and limiting her touches, which really helps with such a great player like Francine Miller."

But the quiet Bowie gave the credit to her teammates and the plan the coaching staff made.

"We just stuck to the game plan that coach Roller gave us, and it worked," Bowie said. "Coach really had us set for this game, and we just went out and executed."

While winning away games is tough in the MAC, Roller emphasized how important the win was to keep the home-court advantage, coming away with the win.

"In the MAC, you have got to win your home games," Roller said. "Home games are huge and we have to win them and just hope we can steal one or two on the road."