Women finish third despite lack of individual champ

The women's tennis team was able to cap off its fall season with a successful run at the Mid-American Conference indoor fall tournament title in Kalamazoo, Mich. The event featured a random draw for six singles flights and a regular format for the doubles tourney.

In flight one, junior Melissa Roach defeated Irina Strembitsky of Akron (6-1, 3-6, 6-4) before falling to Lisa D'Amelio of Eastern Michigan in the second round. Jenny Batty finished third in flight two by winning two consolation rounds.

Sophomore Leisa Brooks was the runner-up in flight three as she lost to Eastern Michigan's Ying Kansuthi in the finals of that bracket. Kansuthi beat her in two straight sets with scores of 6-1, 6-2. -รก

"Overall, it was a very solid performance," head coach Kathy Bull said. "There were no surprises and there was not a big letdown. The scores and efforts were all very well-played."

The Cardinals also fared well on the doubles side of competition this weekend. The tandem of Brooks and Batty finished third in the first doubles flight. Roach and Jill Wieman advanced to the finals of Flight 2, before losing in a close match to Western Michigan 8-6. Sophomore Kara Sullivan and senior Alyce Zollman won the consolation match in flight three doubles.

According to Bull, the host Broncos dominated the tournament. She said Ball State was the third place team behind the Eastern Michigan Eagles.

"This has been a very productive fall season," Bull said. "I feel like we have gotten a lot out of it. But, we still have a little bit of time in the off-season to improve. We need to work on our depth and reinforcement."