No Bood No Fallon: Buckley unhappy with defense

One hundred and twelve points later, and coach Tim Buckley was not pleased. So displeased in fact, he called his team's defensive effort "unacceptable" and rated it a four on a scale of 10.

I would agree, but I'm not completely sure who's to blame.

Ball State's defense was horrid, but can they be blamed?

The first exhibition game, held Wednesday night, was against a Team Nike that could drain shots easier than Larry Bird on a Fisher Price goal.

Despite hot shooting by the "Swooshes," the funniest thing about Team Nike was their lack of structure.

There would be a time out and Ball State would be huddled up frantically discussing the opponent's flaws trying to develop some strategy. Team Nike however, was a different story. Players were leaning back in the chairs, legs crossed and sipping water like a calm English queen treats tea. The players would be laughing and their "coach" would be talking to someone at the scorers table. Nike was a joke. Not only a joke, not very solid competition for Ball State either.

There was one play where Cam Echols picked the ball from a Nike Elite player and took it down court for the jam. The sad part -- Team Nike didn't even chase him down court, he almost walked up to the basket.

Is a team that allows us to get points, sits back and doesn't care if they win or lose the type of team Ball State should be taking on in preseason?

I think not. But guess what -- Ball State doesn't have much of a choice in the matter. In fact, no college or University has a choice under NCAA rule. According to Chris Taylor from Athletic Communications, under NCAA standards one college can not scrimmage with another college. The only teams Ball State can face in exhibition competition is a paid "professional" team -- a.k.a. Team Nike, or next Saturday's EA Sports All Stars opponent. Even more sad is that Ball State pays for teams such as this to come here. It usually averages two to three thousand dollars according to Taylor.

Actually, there is one other team Ball State can face -- itself. Intrasquad scrimmages are also allowed.

So lets review. Buckley isn't happy with a purely offensive effort, and rightfully so. But when the Cardinals are facing a team that is paid to shoot the lights out, instinct says to return the favor.

So, a full week before the next exhibition contest, the game plan should be simple. Defense, defense, defense. We all know there is offensive talent. I mean, there were four players in double figures Wednesday night.

But, despite how early in the season it is, or how strong the team's offense was Wednesday night, it's time to make improvements. A solid defensive effort would be considered improvement.

But hey, don't be too down Cardinal fans. Remember the "four" rating Buckley gave his team? He did follow that comment with a pretty interesting thought.

He said, with a smile mind you, "But when you play a four, and you win, it's a pretty good four then. Isn't it?"

True. Very true.==2+â-+s

?-+8;k+âQ+â-+j+â-û2 +â-ë-+?v'+â-Æ-«n?+â-ò2+â-ä+â-¦+â-ô'+â-äg+â-¦+â-+-í+â-+g-+zN"+â3-¬-Ñ+â-äXH*+â-ä((B+â-ånr+â-¦-¿x+â-ë69+â-ƒZ+â-£!%*!8@-¦-+â-áY+â-¦-+} ?d.+â-ä-++â-£+â-ófx

+â-äY^-í-»

+â-ì+â-ô~+â-+?-¦+â-ƒ+â-Ü-++â-áx+â-à-+>=+â-ä'q+â-èj'i?oO(: -+PXm+â-à+â-¢y?@?-óf|+â-à?...?-«v+â-£--+â-èo)-¦;'(w.+â-í-¦+â-Ö?JmM+â-úfN-++â-+3N9+âc+â-è-¦IphotoNo Bood No Fallon 11.08.02DNEditorial==2m\E

2AUDT

+â-äp