Japanese Consulae speaks about politics, economy

Japanese Consulate General Mitsuo Sakaba spoke Thursday about Japanese politics and economy. His speech, part of Asian Culture Month, focused mainly on the strange situation of Japan's prime minister, Junichiro Koizumi.

Prime Minister Koizumi had the highest approval rating, 85 percent, ever.

"It's not normal. It's a demonstration of the people's lack of confidence in politicians," Sakaba said.

Koizumi's situation is somewhat similar to President George Bush's. His approval rating dropped last year to below 50 percent but has built up to 65 percent in his second year of office, which Sakaba claims is unusual. Unlike Bush though, Koizumi has little support from his party, the Liberal Democratic Party.

"He's a lonely person. He doesn't have many friends in the government. He makes many decisions on his own," Sakaba said.

With an economic downturn ever since 1990, Sakaba says there has been great pressure on Koizumi for reform. However, because he has alienated many politicians, he must rely on the public's support to enact new legislation.

One example was his wish to privatize public corporations. Though the opposition party agreed, members of LDP were against the change. But strong public support has allowed him to privatize 64 companies though.

The gap between the people and politicians is growing even wider. When two candidates for an office were both in their 50s, the people called for younger politicians.

Some students thought this wish was strange.

"I found it interesting that they wanted younger politicians. It made me wonder what would happen if we elected a young president. I think it could go both ways. I think innovation is good but older people have good ideas too," freshman Eva Barrett said.

Some Japanese feel, though, that Japan's economy may not be in such a bad position as thought.

"Some feel it's not a recession but a transition and therefore needs a few more years," Sadako said.

A theory states whenever change occurs in Japan, it takes 15 years for it to go into effect. Sakaba says that if this is true, Japan's economy can expect to recover by 2005.

After Sakaba's speech, a presentation was given on the Japanese Information Center. The center serves Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota. The program is dedicated to promoting information on Japan and supports programs such as Japanese musical concerts, a library of Japanese material, and the Japanese Exchange Teacher program, which helps teach English in Japanese schools.

More information on the JET program can be found at www.mofa.go.jp

/j_info/visit/jet/6622+â-á**FJapanese Speaker 11/8/02DNEditorial662SORT+â-¦+â-ä2AUDT

+â-ä)+â-¼?