Your Turn: Religious debate found 'quite enjoyable' to reader

10.25TEXTBVNE

+â-î]>+â-â>?mBIN+âc+â-à+â-ûThis article is for Laura Hobbs, John King and, of course, John Prince. -- and whoever else may fall upon this letter. I have found the religious banter going back and forth quite enjoyable. Not that I enjoy confrontation, if we are to call it that. What I enjoy is that people actually care enough to think and discuss such topics. What I enjoy is the fact that this topic is worth debating, dare I say, fighting over.

Literally millions have died in the name of religion. Our current national predicament (Afghanistan/ Osama) has its roots in religious matters, or in the least what is proclaimed as a religious purpose. Need I even mention the Middle East and Israel? Many people think war over religion is ridiculous, giving them proverbial ammo to be used against religion and for "our natural right to be free from religion." Think about it: How many have died over Paper vs. Plastic? Chocolate vs. Vanilla? How about PC vs. Mac? Point being, we discuss/debate/fight over religion because it is worth it.

Instructor of English John Prince sent a letter to the editor on Oct. 22, titled Religion not rational; arguments defy logic. Now really, is it possible that our very own human race could be so illogical, so irrational, maybe even ridiculous, to literally fight (and kill) over this single topic for thousands of years? Let me pose a question: If there is a "higher power," do we really want to be able to completely comprehend, to understand the logic of this deity? If we as humans can explain and understand the rationale and logic of a deity, would we really need him or her? Point being that we are finite beings, limited in many aspects. Why is it beyond logic to consider a higher power? I think it is illogical (especially in our postmodern culture) to eliminate the possibility of a creator, a higher-power.

In his article King's Eye Land: Scramble light solicitation pushy: peddlers annoying (Oct. 21), John King writes: "Don't hand me religion . I have my religion and I'm not showing it off, and I am certainly not handing it out on the street, or forcing it on anyone." Besides being quite postmodern, it brings me to consider the value of anything we commit ourselves to. How valuable can a "religion," faith if you will, be if you don't want to share it? Besides the fact that Christianity, for example, calls the follows to share the faith, many people are yelling and screaming for tolerance today. Sexuality. Religion. Anything and everything needs to be tolerated in our society. Yet, when someone who would be labeled "intolerant" or not "embracing" others views and beliefs, they are vehemently accosted. Tolerance, huh? The funny thing is that people who so desperately desire tolerance (specifically in religion) are very intolerant of those who will not tolerate.

I write all of this, not to attack or demean anyone. The problem with much of our society and our form of education is that we aren't thinking. We simply take what we get or justify what we want. The only illogical or irrational about religion is that the way humans have corrupted it. And Laura Hobbs, I just want to say thank you for being the bull. I personally think china looks better in pieces. Why? Because religion is worth fighting for.

"Therefore, in the present case I advise you: leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fall. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."

-á-á-á-á-á-á-á - Acts 5:38,39

Contact Adam at arbouse@bsu.edu++2'>o-

+â-ä>o