Cardinals to meet undefeated no. 24 ranked Falcons on Saturday

-á-á-á-á

Ball State's offense came alive last weekend against Eastern Michigan. The Cardinals put up 42 points en route to a 25-point victory over the Eagles. Ball State's 42 points were the most the team has scored all season, but that number still wouldn't have been enough to beat Bowling Green's average offensive output.

The undefeated Falcons are averaging 49.3 points per game this season. In one win over Ohio, Bowling Green put up 72. The Cardinal offense now feels the burden of putting up good numbers.

"I know we're going to have to score," quarterback Andy Roesch said. "They are going to score points on us, it's just a matter of how many."

Roesch was instrumental in last week's victory, throwing for nearly 280 yards and a school record-tying five touchdowns.

Tailback Marcus Merriweather also had a big game against Eastern. Merriweather also recognizes the value of each possession. The senior rushed for 130 yards on 20 carries, and set a Ball State record for most 100-yard games in a career

"We're always under pressure to score points," Merriweather said. "It's not like we're going to score 42 every week."

Roesch and Merriweather are heading into their third game in the backfield together. Roesch was named as the starter less than a month ago. The two seem to be complimenting each other well.

Roesch says he appreciates Merriweather's leadership in the huddle.

"He made a couple of blitz pickups that really helped out the passing game," the quarterback said.

Head coach Bill Lynch said the duo help each other's game.

"If they don't have eight guys in the box to stop Marcus," Lynch said. "we're going to be able to throw it, and I think we are getting better week by week with that."

Roesch said Merriweather's ground game helps him just as much.

"If he's running, I can pass, and if I'm passing, it can open up the running game," Roesch said.

The Cardinals will have to be on top of their game to beat the Falcons, who are ranked No. 24 in the nation. Lynch, though, said Bowling Green's ranking could be a good thing.

"There are only eight undefeated teams left," Lynch said. "Everyone is looking Saturday to see who will stay unbeaten. We have a chance to do something about one of those this weekend."

Bowling Green is a team that has been plagued by injury. Two weeks ago, against Central Michigan, 11 Falcon starters were out due to injury. In last week's contest, seven were missing from the lineup.

When asked about the number of points Bowling Green has been allowing recently, head coach Urban Meyer was optimistic.

"The last two weeks weren't characteristic," Meyer said. "We were depleted, but we should get guys back this week."

Roesch, however, says it doesn't matter who is in the lineup. His team must prepare the same.

"I'm sure whoever steps in is going to play good," Roesch said. "I'm not sure who's out or who's in."

Bowling Green is coming off of a 45-42 overtime win against Western Michigan. In that game, the Falcons were down by as many as 21 points. Quarterback Josh Harris was named MAC offensive player of the week.

The game was sent to overtime when Falcon senior Alex Glantzis blocked a field goal as time expired in regulation.7723q&Vfootball preview 10.25.02DNEditorial772SORT2+â-ä2AUDT

+â-äf+â-á