Field hockey team begins busy weekend of events

Cardinals face Northwestern today, Indiana on Saturday.

Today's field hockey game against Northwestern starts the team's busiest home weekend of the season, in terms of events.

Today will be the Cardinals' third straight game against a Big Ten opponent to start the season. They beat Indiana and lost to Michigan last weekend. When the Cards faced Northwestern last season, they won in overtime.

"speed that we'll need to contain," said Jen Halliday head coach. "They also have a good work ethic and a phenomenal coach."

Ball State has a rematch against Indiana at home on Saturday and a game versus St. Louis on Sunday. St. Louis plays Northwestern on Ball State's field on Friday.

As if a full slate of games were not enough, this weekend is also Parents' Weekend. Many of the team-members' parents will be at the games. The team will tailgait afterwards in an effort to create a family atmosphere, Halliday said.

In addition to parents and opponents, the team will have its mind on new recruits this weekend.

"We only have three home weekends this season," Halliday said, "so every weekend is a big recruiting weekend. This weekend might get a little chaotic for the players."

All the various activities will be a change for the team. Its last game was 10 days ago. Halliday said that her team is ready to play again.

"Things can get monotonous with a week and a half off," Halliday said. "We'll come out fired up and ready to play, like we did coming out of the off-season."

Among the things Halliday said the Cardinals will focus on against Northwestern is playing as a team and working together.

"We're going to focus on the team-unit and each player's individual responsibility to the unit," Halliday said. "Everybody needs to show up. The team can be exploited if they don't."

Halliday also said the team will focus on their transition from offense to defense, something she was not pleased with against Michigan.