Annual event raises money in memory of friend

In 1998, a group of students traveled to a southwest reservation to study the culture of Native Americans.

But their three-week trip ended abruptly on July 31. As they traveled across the 115-degree Painted Desert, the van's driver fell asleep and flipped the vehicle, taking the life of 18-year-old Maggie Ringger.

Now, nearly four years later, the accident's survivors are hoping to bring good from the tragedy.

Since the accident, the students formed a team to raise money and create the Maggie Ringger Memorial Study Abroad Fund. Proceeds will go to students needing financial assistance who wish to study at Northwest or Southwest reservations.

For the past three years, students have held festivals, bake sales and raffles, hoping to raise $20,000 so the fund can become a permanent part of the University Foundation.

So far, half of the money has been obtained.

The climax of their fund-raising efforts, however, is the Maggiefest.

Maggiefest is usually one night, but this year the festival will run from April 26 to April 28.

For $10, students can receive a full weekend of food, camping, a bonfire and live music.

Maggiefest will take place at the farm of the James Coffin, the director of the Center for International Programs. Coffin lives at 3130 E. County Road 350 S.

Juniors Mollie Hanna, Christy Hobson and Joanna Gangi are heading up the fund-raising event. They are the only remaining women from the 1998 trip who have not graduated.

"I just don't want anyone to forget about her," Hanna said. "If half of the student body donated a buck, we would be done."

The women said they are confident they can also raise the rest of the money before they finish school this year through local sponsors, radio spots and a Web site.