Volleyball changes lineups; picks up two wins

The men's volleyball team used two different starting lineups during the weekend to stretch its winning streak to nine.

No. 11 Loyola-Chicago lost 30-25, 30-27, 30-27, while the New Jersey Institute of Technology was defeated 30-23, 30-17, 30-16.

In the more important match, No. 8 Ball State faced Midwest Intercollegiate Volleyball Association opponent Loyola (9-4 overall, 4-2 MIVA).

Head coach Joel Walton said defeating Loyola while it was on the road was important because of how tough it is at home. Three of Loyola's losses have come on the road and Walton was pleased for the Cardinals to win in sweeping fashion.

Sophomore Amitai Sasson filled in for Matt Denmark, who was out with an injury. Sasson contributed 10 kills and led the team with two blocks.

"(Sasson) had big kills for us all night long," Walton said. "He definitely demanded their respect. They tried to get people in front of him, but they really struggled slowing him down. Amitai did a lot of things for us, but it wasn't just his offense."

The Cardinals had 42 digs to Loyola's 29. Ball State had four players finish with at least eight. Walton says Loyola is a hard team to block, but the deflections made off of Loyola attacks helped to control its offense and contributed to the high number of digs.

"What we did a great job of was not necessarily stopping (Loyola) on the block but controlling a lot of blocks," Walton said. "We allowed out-diggers to pick balls off the top."

Ball State also held the nation's second-leading hitter, Loyola's Dan Haas, to -.375 and no kills. Walton considers that statistic "a testament to our team's defense and what our guys can do."

On Saturday, the Cardinals played host to non-conference opponent New Jersey Institute of Technology, whom the Cards are 4-0 lifetime. In the last meeting between the two, Ball State pulled out the road victory in five games. The 1-13 record NJIT brought to Worthen Arena on Saturday, however, prompted Walton to bring in the Big Unit -- Ball State's second team.

"We had a chance to play the Big Unit and they came out and played well from start to finish," Walton said.

The Cardinals will travel to Fairfax, Va., Saturday to take on George Mason.