Two-week classes offered for summer

Core curriculum classes offered to help students catch up on credit hours.

Ball State will be offering a new program beginning May 13 that allows students to take a core curriculum course over a two or three week period so they can make faster progress on their degree and graduation goals.

According to Laura Helms, director of academic programs with University College, BSU Summer Catch-Up is aimed at freshmen who will not be able to earn sophomore status by the end of their spring semester.

Helms said many students feel dissatisfied if they do not reach sophomore status in two semesters and sometimes leave the university. She said she hoped the program would increase retention rates for underclassmen.

"A lot of students feel uncomfortable not attaining sophomore status and students look at it as a big problem," Helms said.

Of the 5,080 students classified as freshmen in fall 2000, 1,593 were second-year freshmen, Helms said.

Helms said non-freshmen can apply for enrollment, but priority scheduling will be given to freshmen who are entering their third semesters without sufficient credit hours to become sophomores.

According to Helms, the eight classes offered during Catch-Up are classes that freshmen often have difficulty enrolling in early in their college careers.

The classes will be offered in two or three-week blocks, depending on the preference of the instructor, and will meet every day for extended periods. Total instructional hours are the same as classes offered over a semester's time.

Catch-Up is supported by the university's Lilly II grant, Building the Four-Year Commitment.

The four year grant will pay for room and board for each student during the program, if the student chooses to live on campus, Helms said. There will also be a small stipend to help students pay for course supplies. The amount of the stipend has yet to be determined, according to Helms.

use this as marginalia (FIND OUT WHEN STUDENTS CAN START ENROLLING)

Catch-Up has openings for 250 students.

Complete information about the program will be mailed directly to students after spring break.