LETTER Columnist reinforces greek stereotypes

Dear editor:

Alan Rucker's pompous, condescending, elitist comments in his column for this week do nothing but further perpetuate the stereotypes he assumes much of Ball State's campus holds toward the greek system.

One of the stereotypes Rucker feels we hold toward greeks is as follows: "You think we are elitist, arrogant, selfish and horny all the time."

Yet Rucker certainly does not counter the elitist and arrogant label when he writes of the greek system as an "organization of which (its critics) could never be worthy enough to join."

Or how about the comment: "You choose to be your own person, content in your tiny world of incorrect assumptions and a pathetic piece of existence you feel satisfies the requirements of a full college experience." I know there certainly are very nice, creative and intelligent greeks who would blow any stereotypes we might have completely out of the water. But the blow-hearted drivel Rucker has spouted in a public forum has done nothing to help these greeks or further their acceptance.

Rucker or his brothers may turn on me with a personal attack - call me "pathetic," "ignorant," "a sad little person," or ask God to "turn my ankle," but will this serve any purpose other than the further perpetuation of the very stereotypes Rucker claims to wish to dispel?

David C. Dunham
graduate student