Homecoming, Fall Break no longer conflict

Original proposal for fall calendar had the two events held on the same weekend.

University Senate decided at its Thursday meeting that the 2002 Fall Break will be held Oct. 26 to 29.

The Senate did not have time, however, to discuss the possible governance changes.

The decision to hold Fall Break at the end of October was unanimous after approximately 20 minutes of discussion.

Originally, the Undergraduate Education Committee decided to hold Fall Break from Oct. 19 to Oct. 22.

However, with the Homecoming Game on Oct. 19, the Homecoming Steering Committee was concerned Fall Break would weaken the game's attendance.

A second suggestion would have placed Fall Break the week prior, on Oct. 12 through 15. This also raised questions, however, about the attendance at daily homecoming events.

Andrea Deer, assistant director of special events and chairwoman of the 17-member Steering Committee, said Homecoming Week is full of events, and it would be impossible to push those events into three days.

One of the most attended events, Air Jam, has traditionally fallen on a Tuesday. This could have been fallen during Fall Break, but Deer said this would affect too many organizations who plan to participate.

"Three thousand people attended Air Jam last year," Deer said. "The Steering Committee represents at least 30 campus organizations, and they went into an uproar over losing a Tuesday of Homecoming Week."

Members of the Homecoming Steering Committee attended the meeting with Deer to support a full week of events.

Ultimately, though, game attendance was a major factor in the decision.

NCAA and MAC representative John Reno said game attendance is highest for Homecoming and parent's weekend. Senate Chairman John Emert said the original concern was student attendance at the game.

John Horowitz of the Undergraduate Education Committee said no students had been consulted for the original decision, made at a meeting before Spring Break.

"We took a vote and a majority of the members on the senior staff chose Oct. 14 and 15 for Fall Break," Horowitz said.

A majority of student senators and visitors disagreed with a break that conflicted with Homecoming in any way.

"This is a very important week for students," said Tommy Rector, former Student Government Association president. "The committee puts in their time, hard work and planning."

Rector backed the Oct. 26 through 29 date and suggested students be part of the decision process in the future.

Other suggestions of having a three-day Fall Break, Thursday and Friday off or Friday and Monday off, were entertained.

The Board of Trustees will make the final decision as to when Fall Break will be held.

Emert called for a special meeting April 11, with the discussion of the governance restructuring as first priority.