Punk, pop sound reverberates in CD

Grade: B

The Pasties, an up-and-coming modern punk band, released its debut album this past month, one which proves this band has talent.

The New York band, created in September 2000 has released two EPs, but the latest release "Platonica" is the band's first full-length debut album.

The 11-track CD packs a punk-rock, Beach Boys mix with its high vocal melodies and light guitar rhythms. Most of the songs are not much longer than three minutes.

Another plus of this album is the inclusion of lyrics. Many bands don't put lyrics with their albums, making it harder to learn the words. This isn't a problem with "Platonica," because the lyrics are there.

Lyrics for the songs had a logical flow to them. They are not the same loud screaming that is sometimes characteristic of punk bands. These lyrics, written by guitarist and vocalist Devon Copley, appear to be carefully thought-out.

"Romantic Man" is an example of some of the poetic lyrics woven into the Pasties sound.

"He doesn't need deception/he never learned to lie/he's open to perception/his heart transparent to the eye," are the opening words to "Romantic Man," and they show there is some talent not just vocally and musically, but also in lyric writing.

Pasties have four male members who give a unique twist to the music scene today. Band members include Sam Endicott as bassist, Copley on guitar and vocals, Eric Casimiro on guitar and keyboard and Joe Costello on drums.

The group had a comfortable mix of ballads and harder rock on the album, another quality that is hard to find in some of today's newer bands.

One of the harder-sounding tunes was the next to last on the album, "Already Down."

This fast-paced, louder tune shows what vocalist Copley is made of, demanding a louder and broader range from the singer, and he pulls this off well. It also has catchy lyrics in the chorus, those being "I'm already down/and all that you do when you come round is gently remind me why I frown."

The Pasties aren't all just about guitars and drums. In the last track "Number One," there are some other instruments used such as the cello and accordion, which adds flavor and diversity to the band's sound.

People who want to expand their music collections wouldn't be wasting their money on purchasing this album. It is one with just the right blend of hard rock and soft sound that breaks the stereotype of punk rock.