EDITORIAL: Addressing UPD issue first hand quells suspicion

Brownell should be commended for not trying to hide situation.

Whenever there is something that is embarrassing, something you do not want to talk about - it is a lot easier to just act like the problem does not exist. For Ball State, the controversy surrounding the University Police Department is something it really does not want to talk about.

It is something, however, Ball State will talk about.

Wednesday night, university president Blaine Brownell sent out the third of his "Presidential Perspective" memos in which Brownell addresses issues concerning and involving Ball State.

Brownell could have addressed the completion of Shafer Tower or addressed the upcoming UniverCity featuring Sally Ride and Danny Glover. He could have even addressed the expected enrollment increase in the fall. All would have been positive, easy topics to talk about.

But he didn't.

Brownell devoted his entire address to the situation involving former police chief Joe Wehner and his request for a court injunction to keep his position.

During the injunction procedure there were accusations of a compromise made concerning Dean of Students Randy Hyman.

Brownell stated his feelings on the matter and the position the university is taking in an open, sincere matter. The entire UPD situation is not something the university wants to have shining in the media spotlight.

But it is something that, if gone undiscussed, leaves room for suspicion.