Circle of Stars next for BSU gymnasts

The Ball State gymnastics team heads into the Circle of Stars meet today coming off of a first-place finish in DeKalb, Ill., last Sunday. The Cardinals posted a score of 192.525 to outdistance Illinois State (192.400), Northern Illinois (191.825) and University of Wisconsin at Whitewater (177.875).

The Cards will need to bring great performances with them to today's meet in Indianapolis, as they will be going up against tough competition. They will face two Big Ten teams in Michigan State and Ohio State, as well as conference enemy Eastern Michigan.

Ball State will be sporting two individuals of its own who rank in the top 100 nationally. Quiana Williams is 79th on the vault and Amy Bodus is 90th in the all-around.

In the Mid-American Conference, Williams ties for fourth on the vault, while Bodus places fifth in the all-around. Other top performers for Ball State are Jenny Gantt and Renee Planck. Gantt ties for sixth on floor and Planck ties for seventh on bars in the MAC.

The Circle of Stars meet will be its first ever and is being held at the Indiana Convention Center. The Cardinals (8-3 overall, 2-2 MAC), join the DeVeau School of Gymnastics as co-hosts of the event.

Head coach Mary Roth said the event will bring some exposure to the program.

"We are especially excited about the Circle of Stars meet," she said. "It is great exposure for our program and will hopefully be a new tradition.

"Spectators are going to be treated to some of the best talent in this region. The meet organizers are doing a great job. We are also pleased to have the NCAA involved with the tour and the luncheon."