Cards look to avenge loss to Miami

RedHawks beat Ball State 80-77 last time the two rivals faced off.

In the past, Miami (Ohio) has showed little mercy on Ball State.

The RedHawks defeated Ball State once already in a last-second situation this season, 80-77. On top of the loss, that game marked the 10th-consecutive season that Ball State was unable to win in Millet Hall.

Last season, Miami brought forth a strong showing in a nationally televised game on ESPN when the RedHawks downed Ball State, 66-53 in Worthen Arena.

Saturday, with the growing pressure to secure a Mid-American Conference West divisional title, Ball State will try to change that string of bad luck. If Ball State defeats Miami Saturday, the team will clinch a share of the MAC West divisional title. Ball State must win two of its last three games in order to win an outright title.

One factor Ball State may have on its side that has been lacking in past years is a solid fan base. This season, Ball State plays home to a larger home crowd attendance than any other school in the MAC, with an average of 6,985 per game.

"It's picked up a lot over the past few games," senior Petie Jackson said. "When the football players come and get front-row tickets, that's always fun. It's definitely going to be a big factor (Saturday)."

Miami head coach Charlie Coles said Worthen Arena is one of his favorite places to play.

"I enjoy it. I love it," Coles said. "(The students) are on the sidelines killing me. It's a great atmosphere to play in. If I were a player I would love to play at Ball State. They have the finest arena in the league."

The Cardinals have lost only one game at home this season, to Butler. Ball State head coach Tim Buckley attributes much of the team's success at home to not only an improved fan base, but the team's passion at home.

"We have played with more fire and more passion at home," Buckley said. "I think we have tried to prove we can be a good team at home."

Ball State will host Miami Saturday at 6 p.m. coming off a loss at Western Michigan Wednesday, 80-65.

"We just have to keep improving on things and get to the point where we can play possession by possession instead of by halfs," Buckley said regarding Wednesday's game.

"We just have to come back from it," Buckley said. "It's just one game. We still have three to play plus the (MAC) tournament. We can always get better."

Coles said he wished Ball State would have won Wednesday.

"The worst happen because Western beat them," Coles said. "I didn't want that to happen because (Ball State) is wide awake now. You don't want to get the Cardinals mad, and they are mad."

Miami will also come into the contest having just lost as Bowling Green defeated the RedHawks 65-50 Wednesday. Miami will also be without a player, as Alex Shorts was released from the team Wednesday, according to Coles.

"I just felt my efforts to communicate with Alex weren't getting across," Coles said. "It wasn't very good. I know there is very little time left, but I don't think it's going to make us a better team. I think it will make me a happier coach.

"It had been ongoing and it had gotten pretty bad," Coles said.

Shorts scored 10 points in the two teams' first meeting on Jan. 26. Shorts was Miami's leading scorer, averaging 13.2.