London students to perform works from Shakespeare

Show focuses on family relationships, issues within six classic plays.

The students who participated in the London Centre program last semester will be the first to perform in the Cave Theatre this semester.

"This is a chance to show our family and friends what we did in London last semester," said Tanya Tweedy, stage manager.

The play, "Shakespeare's Family," was written by Judy Yordon, professor of performance studies and theater. Members performing the play, which opens tonight, were students in Yordon's performance studies class last semester.

"(It) showcases good scenes based on (William) Shakespeare's different families in his plays, and the different relations of those families," Yordon said.

During their time in London, the 23 students involved in the show attended six Shakespeare performances. "Macbeth," "King Lear" and "Cymbeline" were seen in Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London, and "Twelfth Night," "Julius Caesar" and Hamlet" were seen in the town of Shakespeare's birth, Stratford-upon-Avon, England.

The scenes in "Shakespeare's Family" are derived from these six plays. In the 21 short scenes, players will present relationships between fathers and daughters, fathers and sons, mothers and sons, siblings, lovers, husbands and wives, and family reunions.

The students first performed their play on Nov. 25 at the Theatre Museum at Covent Garden, an intimate venue in central London.

"The students are all working as volunteers; they're all doing double duty," Yordon said.

All scenes are self-directed by the students in those particular scenes. Each scene also features its own costume and set design.

During their 10 weeks in London, the students rehearsed two to three times a week, preparing their scenes in small groups. Yordon also rented Shakespeare's Globe Theatre for a once-in-a-lifetime rehearsal opportunity.

"Shakespeare's Family" can be seen in the Cave, located in the Arts and Communications Building Room 007 Tuesday through Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. and on Sunday at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $2 for everyone, and can be purchased at the door.