Benjamin's embodies casually elegant dining

Manager said restaurant is not as expensive as students may believe.

"Casually Elegant Dining."

This is the phrase that Benjamin's, 2915 W. Bethel Ave., uses to describe its dining experience.

"That means people can come into the restaurant any way they feel comfortable, even in jeans," Benjamin's operations manager Phil Wills said. "We welcome any party from a business dinner to guys stopping by on their way home from the golf course to have a beer."

Senior architecture major Chris Whitis and his parents recently dined at Benjamin's.

"It was a good occasion to get a little dressed up for," Whitis said. "The atmosphere is relaxed but it's still classy."

Benjamin's opened in July 1999 and is regarded by many as one of Muncie's best restaurants.

Senior advertising major Brett Beaty has eaten at Benjamin's once and said he would recommend it to other students.

"The food was pretty good," Beaty said. "It's definitely one of the nicest restaurants in Muncie."

Wills said he believes many students don't come to Benjamin's because they assume it is expensive.

"Actually, we have prices from $7.95 to $26.95," he said. "It's easy for two people to come here on a date and only spend about $30, which isn't much more than you would pay at a place like Applebee's."

Junior Jen Nediano has been to the restaurant on a date.

"Benjamin's has a wonderful atmosphere for a date and the food was really good," Nediano said.

Wills said the restaurant's specialties are its steaks and seafood.

"Both are wonderful," he said.

Aside from dinner, Benjamin's offers banquet rooms that can accommodate up to 200 people as well as a full bar, Wills said.

Senior Jason Hartings stops at Benjamin's bar periodically.

"It's a nice place to come have a drink with friends after a long week," Hartings said. "It's also a nice break from Village bars."

Benjamin's is open Monday through Saturday evenings from 5 to 11 p.m. and is closed on Sundays. Wills said that reservations are recommended, but not required.

"We certainly aren't going to turn anyone away if they don't have a reservation," Wills said.