Nintendo, Microsoft battle for top system

Xbox boasts superior hardware, more games available

The battle will be extraordinary. The contenders: Nintendo and Microsoft, each released a new video game system within a week of each other.

Microsoft's system, the Xbox, is big and ugly, but already has an impressive lineup of games. Nintendo's system, the Gamecube, is small, cute and poised to strike with Nintendo titles that will provide competition for even the most advanced system. Each system is thoroughly impressive, but which one will be the winner?

Nintendo developed the Gamecube to be a gaming system, nothing more. The Gamecube can't play DVDs, music CDs, doesn't have online capability yet, but only costs $200.

The Xbox does almost everything. CD tracks can be ripped onto the internal hard drive to create new soundtracks to games. The built-in ethernet port allows users to purchase and download games online.

The games have Dolby Digital 5.1 sound capability, and with a $30 remote, the Xbox develops the capability to play DVDs. However, the Xbox costs $300, and two other items must be bought with it, which raises the cost to nearly $400.

The Xbox has superior hardware when compared to the Gamecube. The Xbox has a faster CPU, a faster graphics processor and more memory than the Gamecube. The DVD discs for the Xbox hold 7.5 gigs more than the Gamecube mini-discs. Ironically, the Gamecube feels as though it loads games faster than the Xbox, and controllers for the Gamecube are much more comfortable to hold than the bulky Xbox controllers.

But technical superiority doesn't necessarily mean a clear-cut victory, as the Sega Saturn versus the original Playstation battle taught us. Even with superior specs, the Xbox's graphics aren't that different from the Gamecube's.

The true measure of a system is its games. Both systems have a slew of exclusive games, so it isn't easy to declare a clear winner. Xbox wins on quantity, with 41 games slated to be released by the end of the year compared with Gamecube's 20. But who wins on quality?

The Gamecube's two biggest sellers are Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader. Neither one is anything ground-breaking or completely new, but both are fun. Rogue Squadron 2 follows the space battles in Star Wars from the first Death Star battle all the way to the destruction of the second Death Star. Missions even span the gap of time between the movies. For many gamers, this is the "must-buy" title for the Gamecube.

The Xbox beats the Gamecube again in this department. The release games for the Xbox are just better, period. For first-person shooters, Halo is the game for gamers of choice. For fighting games, get Dead or Alive 3. For odd strange/weird and fun, go for Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee. If a Star Wars game must be had, but not a starship game, the first-person shooter Obi-Wan is due out this month. Quite simply, the Xbox has what is wanted, and it has it now. The future is a different story.

For future games, the Gamecube shines brighter. While the Xbox has very impressive games in development, the Gamecube has more heavy hitting exclusive titles slated for release. Not only will the Gamecube sport the new Metroid, Zelda and Mario games, Nintendo has scored a deal with Capcom to get the Resident Evil series exclusively on Gamecube. This puts to death any rumor that labels the Gamecube as a purely "kiddie" system. Also, rumors abound about "exclusive" Xbox release games that will find their way to the Gamecube next year.

So who wins? Simply put, the gamers win in this battle. Both systems are incredible, and the competition promises to push games to entirely new levels. When it comes down to it, just try the games out on the demo systems at the local Wal-Mart to see which one makes you drool the most.

The only remaining question is: does either the Xbox or the Gamecube have what it will take to bring down the reigning champion of home systems, the Playstation 2? Playstation 2 already has the games and the consumer base to fend off both new systems. Only the passage of time will tell which system will emerge victorious from this battle for your free time.