LETTER: Ball State not living up to advertised standards

Dear editor:

The great, the wonderful, the ever so helpful Ball State University. Minor problems such as parking and meal plans have not bothered me as much as the ever so helpful staff that Ball State pays. Coming to Ball State was my choice, albeit, a bad one.

I came strictly to study journalism education. It's too bad that I can't get into a major related course my freshman year. It's also amazing that I've been told I probably would not get into any my sophomore year, either. Why, then, am I paying ten times the amount I could pay to take the same classes at a community college in my hometown? I'd be able to save money and when I was no longer a peon of a freshman and I'd be able to get into some courses that would prepare me for graduation.

Why worry about graduating, however, when I'm surrounded by the ever so helpful staff that BSU has given me. When I have a problem with housing all I need to do is fill out a form on the Internet and magically it will be fixed in a few (at most) days. It's too bad that my request from late August still has not been brought to anyone's attention.

I also find it amazing that when a question about financial aid arose the ever so helpful staff in Lucina Hall could give me such a convincing run-around. But that's okay, I enjoy taking a long walk to help me vent my thoughts after awaking in the morning to no power in my rented Micro-Fridge. Not only does everything that my roommate and I have in the fridge go bad, but the freezer will magically defrost and then refreeze leaving re-frozen ice cream, H2O, and various frozen foods to be crusted in a two inch thick plate of ice. Makes for a great day of ice sculpting, but I have a feeling that since I'm not an art major, art classes are off-limits for me.

Upon returning to my dorm I retreat to my bed, the only happy place I've found on campus... or have I? Minutes after I've settled in, the smoke from below drifts into my room as do the voices of those who choose to kill brain cells and lung tissue. I'd close my window but then my room would become a sauna. The mysterious high/low switch has evaded my view since the first day it's kicked on. But the heater provides excellent music in the middle of the night. I'd rather enjoy its knocking and rattling - sometimes I think it's laughing at me for being such a complete idiot for coming to BSU.

My days are filled with longing for Friday. Not for the "normal" parties but for a 1 1/2 hour ride home to comfort. Heaven forbid I have to stay here for two days without classes to occupy my mind. The only fun then is to watch those who choose to become intoxicated try to climb stairs or use their ID cards to get into the bathrooms, both at which they fail miserably.

Ball State has everything you need for a true college nightmare.

Brianna Belford
freshman