BALL STATE UPSETS NO. 7 KANSAS

The men's basketball team upset the Kansas Jayhawks in its first game of the Maui Invitational 93-91 on a layup by Patrick Jackson with .8 seconds left on the clock.

Before a crowd of 2,500 people, the Cardinals (1-0) jumped out to an early lead off the shooting of the shooting of Jackson and juniors Chris Williams and Theron Smith. The Cards never trailed in the firs half, building a lead of 11 points with 6:41 to play in the half.

But Kansas closed the gap to seven at the break and pulled within two point following a 12-2 run to start the second half.

The Jayhawks took its first lead of the game with 13 minutes left to play, but the Cardinals would not die as they continually fought back from three and four-point deficits to stay in the ballgame.

Then with less than a minute to play, Williams hit a three to tie the game at 91. Kansas brought the ball down and Kansas freshman Aaron Miles traveled after a botched shot attempt to give the Cards the ball with 15 seconds to play.

The Cards put in the ball into the hands of Jackson -- who was guarded by Miles.

As Jackson started to make his move to the basket, Miles fell down with a leg cramp in his right quadriceps and Jackson drove into the lane and hit an acrobatic layup reminiscent of Michael Jordan with .8 left to play.

The Jayhawks were unable to convert on the ensuing in-bounds play as the Cardinals won 93-91.

Williams led Ball State with 24 points, Jackson had 23 and Smith had 19 despite foul trouble throughout the game.