AJ building dedication draws large crowd

The Art and Journalism Building, partially in use since January, was formally dedicated Sunday afternoon by Tom DeWeese, president of the Ball State Board of Trustees.

Alumni, faculty, students, and members of the Muncie community attended the dedication ceremony.

During his speech, College of Communication, Information and Media Dean Scott Olson compared the dedication weekend to Homecoming. He compared the alumni who had left Ball State to conquer the world to Dorothy's fictional adventures in the land of Oz where, after discovering an Emerald City, realized there was no place like home.

"We have our own Emerald City right here," Olson said. "There's no place like this home."

Following Olson's speech, alumni Pam Records and Jim Grim presented a framed timeline of the history of the Department of Journalism, and Cardinal Communications Director Katie Hawkins and Daily News Editor Tom Gubbins presented a framed cover of the Nov. 2 edition of the Daily News which will be turned into a plaque to hang on the walls of the new building.

In a low-key ceremony outside the Art and Journalism building following the dedication, a time capsule was placed inside the concrete walls of the front courtyard. The capsule will be opened in 2101. Placed inside the capsule, among other things, were three editions of Expo magazine, a 2001-2002 Theatre and Dance brochure, a Studying Art pamphlet from the Department of Art, two copies of the Daily News coverage of the Sept. 11 attack and CD ROM containing two weeks of the paper's coverage of the events, a cardinal and a Chik-fil-A beanie baby, a copy of Ed Ball Century on VHS tape and a photo album from the College of Communication, Information and Media.