Ball State Board of Trustees member R. Wayne Estopinal dies in plane crash

<p>Wayne Estopinal, a Board of Trustees member, introduces Rick Hall, chair of the Board of Trustees&nbsp;on May 22, 2018 at Sursa Hall. Estopinal died in a southern Indiana plane crash Friday morning.&nbsp;<strong>Breanna Daugherty, DN</strong></p>

Wayne Estopinal, a Board of Trustees member, introduces Rick Hall, chair of the Board of Trustees on May 22, 2018 at Sursa Hall. Estopinal died in a southern Indiana plane crash Friday morning. Breanna Daugherty, DN

R. Wayne Estopinal, a Ball State Board of Trustees member, died Friday morning in a southern Indiana plane crash.

A joint statement from Board of Trustees chair Rick Hall and Ball State president Geoffrey Mearns said Estopinal was, "an exceptional leader and passionate supporter of the University. As we mourn this loss to our Ball State family, we ask that you keep Wayne’s family and friends in your thoughts and prayers. As we learn additional information, we will communicate that to you."

Ball State University, Photo Provided

Kathy Wolf, vice president for marketing and communications, said there is no additional info at this time.

Estopinal is a 1979 graduate of the College of Architecture and Planning and has served on the board since 2011, along with serving as chair of the Academic/Student Affairs Committee and BSU Alumni Council. He also is the president of TEG Architects, which is based in Jeffersonville, Indiana. 

According to a press release from the Indiana State Police, police in Clark County were alerted by residents of a possible plane crash in a wooded area near Borden, Indiana. It was determined that there were no survivors but the investigation was handed over to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).

NTSB spokesperson Keith Holloway said in email that an investigator should be in the area for another day or so to collect information on the crash and a preliminary report should be available in "about 10 days or so." He said the NTSB does not determine the cause of crashes early in investigations and that a completed investigation where a cause is determined takes 12 to 18 months.  

On Tuesday, Gov. Eric Holcomb reappointed Estopinal on the board. His new term would have ended Dec. 31, 2022. 

This story will be updated.