David Letterman Communication Media Building: 'The future of communication'

<p>The David Letterman Communication and Media Building is named in honor of alumnus David Letterman from the class of 1969. It features state-of-the-art production facilities and is the home of both Indiana Public Radio and the student-run radio station WCRD-FM. <span style="color: rgb(36, 36, 36);">Teri Lightning, DN</span></p>

The David Letterman Communication and Media Building is named in honor of alumnus David Letterman from the class of 1969. It features state-of-the-art production facilities and is the home of both Indiana Public Radio and the student-run radio station WCRD-FM. Teri Lightning, DN

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history.  

In 2005, Ball State began construction on an eco-friendly building that would be dedicated to one of the university’s most well-known alumni: David Letterman.

While the building was under construction, it was referred to as the Communication Media Building. Upon completion in 2007, however, the building was named the David Letterman Communication and Media Building.

Letterman and an estimated crowd of 5,000 — according to Ball State’s website — attended the dedication, which featured a ribbon cutting ceremony, the unveiling of a bronze plaque acknowledging Letterman’s successes and commitment to the university and speeches from both Letterman and then-president Jo Ann Gora.

“My grades were so bad my mom said, ‘Dave, why don’t you consider getting into a trade school so that way you’ll have a way to support yourself.’ Mom, I think you can relax now,” Letterman said during the dedication. “The future of communication is inside this building, there’s no question about it.” 

Using bamboo walls and terrazzo floors — flooring made from recycled marble waste chips —  the 75,000 square foot building was the first on campus to be certified by the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.

RELATED: Foundations: A Look Into The David Letterman Communication and Media Building

The building is part of the communications complex, which is formed by the combination of the Art and Journalism, Letterman and Ball Communication buildings and is home to Indiana Public Radio and the student-run radio station WCRD-FM.

Located on the second floor of the building, WCRD has offices, sound-proof rooms and a window for spectators to view recordings.

Also housed inside the building is the College of Communication, Information and Media (CCIM); Telecommunications and Communication Studies.

Read more centennial content here.  

Contact Brooke Kemp with comments at bmkemp@bsu.edu or on Twitter @brookemkemp.