Ball State secures 20th win of season after holding off Western Michigan

Junior guard Carmen Grande passes the ball to a teammate at the game on Monday, Nov. 13 against Missouri State in John E. Worthen Arena. Grande came from her hometown of Madrid, Spain to play at Ball State. Andrea Cooper, DN

After losing three starters in the second half, Ball State (20-4, 9-4 MAC) found a way to hold off Western Michigan (14-11, 7-6 MAC) to win their 20th game of the season, 81-71. 

Junior guard Carmen Grande became the programs all-time leader in assists after dishing out six in the game. She came down wrong on her ankle in the third quarter but was able to battle back and return in the fourth quarter to finish the game. 

The Cardinals junior guard Jasmin Samz and junior forward Destiny Washington fouled out early in the third quarter. 

Senior forward Moriah Monaco lead all scorers with 28 points while shooting 10-16 from the field and adding three 3-pointers. 

Ball State's other stand out performance came from freshman forward Oshlynn Brown as she recorded her fourth straight double-double with 20 points and 11 rebounds. 

The Cardinals shot 47 percent from the field while knocking down 33 percent of their threes, holding the Broncos to just 35 percent from the field and 27 percent from behind the arc. Ball State also controlled the boards, outrebounding Western Michigan 46-34.

Ball State will not be back in action until Saturday Feb.17 when it they travel to take on Northern Illinois (12-11, 4-8 MAC) at 2 p.m.

Contact Daric Clemens with comments at diclemens@bsu.edu.