Tillotson Avenue bridge to open by Thanksgiving

<p>The Burlington drive bridge over the Muncie bypass is expected to reopen ahead of schedule. Grace Ramey, DN File</p>

The Burlington drive bridge over the Muncie bypass is expected to reopen ahead of schedule. Grace Ramey, DN File

The Tillotson Avenue bridge, rebuilt from the ground up, is set to open before Thanksgiving.

Crews hope to reopen the bridge by the end of the work day Wednesday, said Angela Moyer, Delaware County engineering director. If not by then, Moyer said it will be open by the holiday.

Not all construction is complete, though. Moyer said new lights will be added in two or three weeks, possibly re-routing traffic in the process.

When the construction was announced, the Indiana Department of Transportation said in a press release that the construction would re-route “nearly 10,000 daily drivers” around Tillotson Avenue.

RELATED: Bridge construction projects divert traffic in Muncie 

While the bridge was originally set to finish Oct. 27, heavy rain in June and July slowed construction, Moyer said. Re-paving the trail lying underneath the bridge may be postponed as well. 

“We may not be able to get that paved in time before the winter sets in. It just depends on the weather,” Moyer said. “If we cannot get that completed, we will have a trail, though, that can be used.”

Though final costs have not yet been calculated, Moyer said the bridge’s “total replacement” was allotted $3,540,630 to Beaty Construction from INDOT. Construction officially started on April 5.

Moyer said small trees will be planted around the bridge later in the spring. 

Contact Sara Barker with comments at slbarker3@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @sarabarker326.